Skip to main content

Death of the Professional Photographer

In the early 2000's, I attempted several times to establish myself as a professional photographer. My friends and family were concerned with the developing technology on cameras on mobile phones would mean the death of the professional photographer. I even started off leveraging my photographic retouching skills that I had learned and practiced with my mentor, Juan Aguilera.  

And so I attempted to grow of Keeping Digging Workshop, which was the first incarnation of photography, video, and music for several years.

During those early years, the exponential pace at which mobile phones did to develop their camera technology, basically meant the death of the professional photographer - like myself. 

Once I was playing a more active role with A Amore' Events & Entertainment, the role of photographer on events diminished. The demand for Master of Ceremonies (MC), Disc Jockey (DJ), Host, and Ordained Minister was more so than the professional photographer - at least for me. I re-imaged my burgeoning business to Keep Digging Media after being hired as a wedding photographer for a friend-of-a-friend's. 

That would be my last and final gig as a photographer. I didn't realize it was my death of the professional photographer! It saddened me greatly to see my camera and gear that I spent a large amount of money into to placed into a closet never to be touched again for professional (paid) use. 

I was sad because I realize, right then and there, that I wasn't good enough to be a photographer that was paid for my craft. And no, I didn't blame camera phones. It was a lack of talent in a pool of photographers - I resigned myself to the death of the professional photographer. 

I honestly thought I was great, especially with the encouragement of friends, and family plus being featured in a gallery at the local Tully's Coffee store in Issaquah. It wasn't enough! 
Then I became angry, and resentful of my life choices that I made to be a professional photographer. The time, and energy, and especially the money and resources I spent attempting to be a success professional photographer. I thought would attempt to be stock photo photographer instead; didn't produce enough images to be paid. I morphed into a portrait photographer for high school senior, head shots for upcoming actors and models, and other related photos - too much competition for that type of business. 

To better resign myself to the death of the professional photographer, I stopped mentioning I did any photography. It made me cry inside. I really did love photography. 

Nowadays I take solace in the occasional praise I receive online from my social media posts of photos I capture on my iPhone with "great shot". With all of that said, I'll be selling most of my gear as you usually do once someone in your life (or something) passes on and you no longer have a use for anymore. 

The final step in the death of the professional photographer within me: acceptance. 

This has been my C Note. 
'los; out 
SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper