Skip to main content

Funniest Call Center Stories: Part I - Sequim

In American society, invariably you've contacted a call center filled wall-to-wall with customer service representatives (CSRs) And for twenty years, I was a call center rat in some capacity. In some of those call centers, I rose through the ranks to be promoted to title of supervisor. Not only did we manage the workers, but we took escalated calls. The following is part 1 of 5 posts based on the funniest call center stories, I have to share.

Considering I've handled hundreds (if not thousands) escalated situations these five are bar-none the best of the bunch.

Funniest Call Center Stories: Part I - Sequim

I understand that not being born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, you are not naturally exposed to Native American names of cities, rivers, and more. I would think that if you're not an expert in the pronunciation of a term that you would defer to someone who is. Furthermore, if you're traveling to an unfamiliar area, you should take the advice of a travel agent that is. This woman's ignorance (or arrogance) from Baton Rouge, Louisiana led to her fateful trip that she booked with me.
In 1999, I was still a rookie travel agent at AAA Washington Express Travel Center at the Corporate Headquarters in Bellevue's Bellefield Office Park. At this point in my employment, I was a known trouble-maker, fun leader, therefore seated right across the cubicle wall from my immediate supervisor, Carter Mears.

It was a high-speed, inbound call center for AAA Members only. I just wished they had better chlorine for the gene pool of this segment of these members. Then again, I'm glad their not because it provided me the first of funniest call center stories.

The caller voice was female with a heavy Southern accent asking me to traveling from Baton Rouge to SEE-quim.

I asked, "Pardon me, but where did you wish to travel to?"
She seemed irked. "Ya know, SEE-quim. It's in your damn state."
I narrowed my eyes while I peered at my Washington State map that hung on my cube wall. "Do you mean Skwim (Sequim)? On the Olympic Peninsula?"
"No, I need to see my sister-in-law in SEE-quim. Get me there," she demanded.
I was in my twenties, therefore determined to impose my will on an idiot. It wouldn't end well, either. "That's a Native American name of the town, ma'am. It's correctly pronounced Skwim. Regardless, you'll travel to Seattle, and connect with a smaller commuter flight or drive there in a rental car."
She explodes, "I want to fly directly to SEE-quim. Didn't you hear me?"

For the next twenty minutes, I'm embroiled in battle with this lady on the phone. I finally surrender to stupidity, by lying to her loudly, and leaning over so much so to shout into Carter's cubicle. "Ok, you're flying from Baton Rouge to SEE-quim (I even adopted her pronunciation) Your hotel and rental car will be waiting for you. You might wanna drive around, though. Your confirmation has been emailed to you, enjoy your trip to SEE-quim! Thanks for booking with AAA."
I slammed the phone down.

Carter peered around the corner to meet my gaze. I immediately pointed my finger at his face, "NO! No, no, no. I'm not explaining shit. She's a genuine village idiot denying her presence by traveling to us. I'm done."

Stay tuned throughout the year for the additional posts! Until then, be good like you should and if you can't be good, be good at what you do.

Mic drop *bOoM*
'los; out

Comments

  1. While i acquired on your web log however adding awareness just a bit touch submits. Nice technique for potential, We are book-marking during a period find versions conclude spgs way up. call center outsourcing services

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper