Skip to main content

Labor of Love - The Long Shot

Recently, I've been texting and talking with a girl I already know is moving out of state. I consider it a labor of love - the long shot.

To protect her name, I'll refer her to as #Nashville (based on the TV show that was canceled by NBC, yet picked up by CMT, the fact she looks like Hayden Panettiere, and the situation is completed unscripted. Not to mention she is by far and large, the hottest girl I've talked to)

So when I'm asked about my motivation of even participating in such a long shot, I answer with an Alfred Lord Tennyson quote turned into a question.

"Is it better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?"

I sit back to listen to all the answers from my friends and family, especially when we're posted up around a table at the local watering hole or the roof deck at the Sideline Bar & Grill (long considered the HQ for the #BrewCrew)

I placed their answers into three categories in order to process and appreciate each: the pessimist (negative), the realist (neutral) and the optimist (positive).

The pessimists answered, "... never to have loved at all". Oh, I get it. Knowing it'll end badly, they would rather not have the pain. Heart break is brutal, not gonna lie. Perhaps the answer comes from a place of hurt. It's such a negative outlook on love, so I smile because that's not my answer.

Moving on ...

The realist answered, "... never to have loved at all". By the way, most of the answers categorically fit this one. "Why bother, Los? She's bouncing out, she's not changing her plan, and she owes you nothing." I can appreciate the sentiment. I'm on the search of life partner, so this clearly is contrary to my goal. I get it. How many times, we've been told that we have an undetermined yet limited amount of trips around the sun, so this could be view as wasted time. I instantly think of the #KeithUrban song "Wasted Time" which celebrates his best days on the planet are 'wasted time'.

I digress.

#Nashville even asked and re-asked, "Are you sure you wanna waste your time [dancing] with me?" I replied, "Is it really wasted time if it's time spent with someone you like doing something you like?"

Which finally brings me to my answer ...

The optimist answered, "It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". This is the most #keepdigging answer I could possibly have. This is a labor of love to live out the long shot. Seriously, the #KellyClarkson song "Long Shot" replays in my head every time my thoughts land on this subject.

I confessed to #Nashville "You know what I'm not willing to do?"
Her eyebrows arched in anticipation, "What?"
"I'm not willing to pay for regret. I won't be bombing down I-405, with my windows down, tunes up, thinking about this with regret that if I only stepped up and tried. If you say you're done, and out, then I can take solace in the fact it wasn't me that said no, and said no for myself," I answered.

And there it is, that's my answer. I would rather take a long shot at whatever this is, crash and burn, and move on than never even bother.

So yeah, I'd rather to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

What's your answer, Seattle? Is it better to have loved and lost on the long shot, or never to have loved at all?

Comment below, please ... Until next week, be good like you should, and if you can't be good, then be good at what you do!

Mic drop *bOoM*
'los


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper