Skip to main content

End of Seattle's Summer

I looked at the calendar recently. One last week left in August, which signifies the end of Seattle’s summer. Not necessarily the end of summer weather, which has a tendency to carry on into September and October.

No. No, what I’m talking about is the active pursuit of trying to cram 9 months worth of outdoor activity and fun into the 3 month span of summer in Seattle. Every Seattlite has the same dilemma, too. They mostly work Monday to Friday jobs, with weekends being the most coveted time of the week.

Sometimes they are, including me, are double-booked, triple-booked even for activities that can only be fun in the sun. Then of course you add in marquee events in the area such as beer festivals, 4thof July celebrations, farmer’s markets, Seafair, birthdays, anniversaries, graduation parties, proms,  family vacations, and there’s a litany more, and you end up with a whirlwind summer in which you don’t realize is all over.

I get it. I do. I’ve observed this behavior, as well as engaged in it, for as long as I can remember.

However, for the past 30 some odd years, the last weekend in August marked my last hoorah before the crushing reality of school (or real jobs – not just summer) right after #LaborDayWeekend – You’d think that was the “last weekend”, but to me, it’s not.

I’m usually gearing up the final preparations for school, and my family wasn’t rich so no lavish vacations on Labor Day – usually camping. I usually cue up #TheoryofaDeadman song “End of the Summer” because while the title is apropos, the lyrics also speaking to me on an elemental level (plus not to mention it’s a catchy tune so buy it today on iTunes or Amazon today, or at least listen to it on Spotify, Pandora One, or any other online streaming channel)

I digress.

The summer of 2016 will be one of the best summers in my history. Firstly, it was the first summer I’ve spent in a Costco warehouse working. Woodinville (747) may or may not be my only warehouse I ever work for, but certainly will be my first love and you know what they say about that … Secondly, my #TabulaRasaDeclaration was realized with the purchase of my house in Lake Stevens. That’s right, you are looking at a true-blue, dyed-in-wool, kid-tested, mother-approved, home owner.

The house purchasing process is no easy task, so mine was no different. I moved in on 7/7/16, Thursday. Even amongst the other accomplishments, I couldn’t be happier than this day. Such a satisfying feeling!

My new house needed to be hammered on to feel like a “home”. I sure did that. My sister was slated to be my first tenant / roommate later in the month, so I enjoyed the place to myself.

I also used the time to survey and understand the new area to understand where my new neighborhood will be for the next 25 to 30 years.

Thirdly, was the historic #WatershedFestival as being the first country music festival that spanned not just one, but TWO weekends. Of course, I only attended one. Frankly, one is enough. Sometimes too much for some concert-goers. It was my 4th consecutive time posting up, yet the first time I was single. I did myself a favor, and properly set up my expectations. I wanted to have a great time, listening to as much music as I wanted, drink but not to be destroyed the next morning, and lastly, focus on me. Not meeting other people, or girls to hook up with, or network.

That in and of itself, created the dynamic that people started to gravitate to me! Huh, I thought?

Finally, I geared up for my open house by selecting the most open weekend to me. I knew the guest list would long but attendees would be short because of what I already mentioned above.

It’s no slight against me, simply a decision of priorities and excuses. To some it was a priority to attend, others prioritized other events above this. I’m not mentioning to be cynical or upset, it’s simply a product of not enough time to accomplish all that you want. I totally get it – I do.

On the same weekend, WCP and I volunteered to assist Mari and Chad at their Pokemon Go Rally at Redmond Town Center. Again, it was a ton of hard work in the sun, but yet, a blast at the end of the day.

And? And, my summer still isn’t done yet! I have one last weekend left, which I also mentioned above. That’ll be traveling to Portland for the #SeattleSoundersFC vs Portland Timbers match.

I might even try to attend #Bumbershoot over Labor Day Weekend! So, the questions I have for you:


  • How do you decide which event to attend on a double-booked, triple-booked, weekend? Is it based on financial reason, loyalty, how well you know a person / persons / the event?
  • Once you decide, do you ever cancel the initial invite, and accept a different one that’s more fun / financially feasible / closer in proximity, and level commitment of effort there is?
  • Are there long standing traditions that simply can’t be changed that regardless of the event invite, you wouldn’t attend because of it?


Please lemme know below in the comments – I’m super curious. Until next week when I drop, be good like you should, and if you can’t be good … be good at what you do!

Mic drop bOoM‘los; out

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper