Skip to main content

Karaoke Cheers And Jeers Over The Years

I've experienced karaoke cheers and jeers over the years. While I've karaoked a few times in my teens and early 20's, I really only recognize my early 30's as my start to my karaoke "career" for lack of a better term.

And what I meant by "career", I included time behind the mic as well as in front. That's right, in the early stages I was karaoke host with the most at Malarky's. When I wasn't working, I was singing at the same place.

Once I was established and comfortable hosting karaoke, I was encouraged to tour the surrounding area including Seattle to observe other karaoke. Not necessarily to compare myself but know how other DJ's do it. See what their strengths and weaknesses are, and see how I can apply that to my show.

Karaoke Cheers and Jeers
All and all, I've had an awesome time singing, and drinking beer with my friends while waiting for my turn. I've learned my vocal tone range, and the songs that fall into that category so they are polished no matter where and when I belt them out.

The equipment can be state-of-the-art or barely running, at least it'll be consistent across the mic. One of my more fond moments of karaoke cheer is when the crowd is fired up and singing the chorus with me.

Some singers don't like that, in fact, they find it insulting. Not me! I love it, because it means that song they are hearing is one they love, too. What better way to display your love than to sing it? Granted I have the microphone, but I might as well the original artist performing the song on stage.

Like I said, one of my best memories of karaoke cheers is during a business trip to the Dominican Republic. One of the nights that I didn't have a group event was the night the resort I was placed at hosted karaoke.

Before submitting my song request, I surveyed the crowd. Mostly from the South because they were displaying University of North Carolina hats, and shirts, a couple Georgia Tech hats, and the telltale Southern drawl in their conversations.

My go-to song? Rodeo by Garth Brooks.

My guess was spot-on as that half of the crowd got on their feet to help me out. The next singer was a black fella that absolutely killed it with Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel. While he did bring down the house, I still felt good as I lay down in my bed that night.

The other moment that I reflect on happened a week ago at Pub 85 in Kirkland. My first song I launched into is my standard go-to song without scanning the crowd, or caring if they wanna hear it or not.

We're An American Band by Grand Funk Railroad.

It gives me a chance to review the crowd response, and survey the crowd for my next song selection. They were mostly barely legals (21 y.o.) to late 20's. I knew in an instant what would be my next song to submit to sing.

Animal by Neon Trees.

Sure enough, the crowd didn't disappoint me! They sang the entire chorus, and most of the song to boot!

However, for all the fun and cheers, there's also the unsavory part of karaoking. Sometimes the person requesting the song is so intoxicated that they want to jump the singer queue. Mostly because they are not gonna last too much longer before passing out, vomiting, or be being ejected from the bar.

Sometimes the DJ (including me) doesn't have the song the singer wants to do. In addition to the version that they want. I've had some customers request to use their own backing track on their iPhone or Android device.

Another jeer I have about karaoke hosts, or karaoking in general is the increase on the microphone gain to increase volume level. It simply doesn't work, or all it does is created sound feedback through the speakers, which can be deafening.

Or some singers feel it necessary to scream into the microphone, which amplifies your voice anyways ... so I don't see the point in doing that. Again, mostly that they are drunk.

Speaking of which, my only incident that I remember was at Malarky's. It was the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving Day which most college students have return to Issaquah. One drunk idiot walked up to me while I was singing Animal by Neon Trees. In the middle of the song he tossed a full beer at me! It dowsed me in beer and it splashed all over Mari's equipment to boot.

We stopped the song, I pointed to the perpetrator, and they ejected him. I requested more like yelled for his bro's to be tossed too, but they remained. I was mad but mostly embarrassed having a beer thrown on me.

Obviously, it rattled me but not for long. The next night I was singing again at the Juanita Bar & Grill, and it happened without incident.

So Seattle, and Spaceship Earth, any proud moments while karaoking such as singing for the first time? Any not-so-proud moments that you dare to share with me? Love to read those, too.

Until next time, be good like you should, and if you can't be good, be good at what you do!

Mic drop *bOoM*
'los; out

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper