Skip to main content

The Bane of Bumbershoot

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I loved Bumbershoot. I mean I would be so feverish for new music that I would eagerly anticipate the lineup announcement only to know which band(s) / musician(s) to scour the interwebs for! And it was all because of a girl. And like ANY story worth telling it's about a girl... It's my bane of Bumbershoot.

Bumbershoot is a synonym for umbrella. So when I deployed my golf umbrella to exit the #SapphireSled the other day, my mind was flooded with memories I've suppressed. If memory serves, it started in 2009. The girl, aka #MusicalMuse asked me about my live music history. I was recently outta a divorce so I quipped my ex-wife literally hates music yet I loved it. Therefore my live music history was tragic to say the least. So she invited me to rock with her at #Bumbershoot - I've never been and I gladly accepted!

Not gonna lie, I was crushing on the girl so the acceptance was made more with my heart than mind. I don't regret it, really, either then or looking back at it now.

The lineup was fantastic that year! 

Line-up
  • Katy Perry
  • Black Eyed Peas
  •  
  • Jason Mraz
  • Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
  •  
  • Modest Mouse
  • Yeah Yeah Yeahs
  •  
  • Franz Ferdinand
  •  
  • The All-American Rejects
  •  
  • Wale
  •  
  • Kasabian
  •  
  • Cold War Kids
  •  
  • Metric
  •  
  • Sheryl Crow
  •  
  • Matt and Kim
  • Janelle Monáe
  •  
  • De La Soul
  •  
  • Michael Franti & Spearhead
  •  

#MusicalMuse took pity on me so that pretty much meant I had carte blanche for the weekend. And I do mean, blank check. The first order of business was deciding which bands and musicians we wanted to see on each day. 

Each day would start with breakfast, and packing up for the entire day, and brief discussion on who we wanted to rock. Personally, I was good with any and all bands leading up to the headliner. I just love being around the girl. 

One of the first day highlights was our Michael Franti encounter. I remember I had my Nikon D5000 (aka "Nik") in my hand, and I was visually yet mentally framing / composing photos while waiting for #MusicalMuse to return to me. I recognized Michael from the research I did, as he casually strolled through the crowd around the food vendors. I introduced myself to speak with me and subtly hold him up so #MusicalMuse can meet him. 

Sure enough, my plan worked as I took a picture with her and him. She didn't have anything to autograph much less a Sharpie pen, but she was ecstatic about the chance meeting for the rest of the day. I wonder if she ever thinks about it, or if she kept the photo? 

I digress. 

Rarely do you remember what people say to you, only that you remember how they made you feel. And for that weekend, with her, I felt the most alive than I had in a long time. And for that, I'm grateful. However, all good things must come to an end, including my relationship with her.

She broke my heart in the summer of 2012, just months before #Bumbershoot - so that left me the decision to go on my own or sell my weekend pass, stay home and sulk. It's not very #keepdigging like, so ... I soldiered on as best as I could. I reacted the plans of years past, only running solo this time with heavy heart. 

As you can imagine, I met many new people (one of which I still am connected with on FB!), listened to many new bands, enjoyed the music and fun in the sun yet ... all with a heavy heart of heartache. My soul couldn't decide whether I only enjoyed this festival because of the girl or the music. I didn't take nearly as many photos, create playlists to re-live those tiny moments, or enjoy it as much as I did in years past.

It'll literally felt as if I was walking through a ghost town, with every corner of Bumbershoot haunted by a memory of happiness. My anxiety level was through the roof despite the smile and liquid medicine. I knew she loved Bumbershoot, so the likelihood of running into her with her new boyfriend and/or her friends was high. 

  • If I did see her, would I engage in conversation?
  • Would I turn-tail and leave?
  • What would I say?
  • What would she say?
  • Would I lose my shit over the way it went down?

I laughed because she isn't confrontational just like EVERY OTHER GIRL in the Pacific Northwest. It's the passive-aggressive nature inherit in all as I'll find out later in the dating scene. While I would have the maturity to manage a casual, "small talk" conversation, I knew she couldn't or wouldn't, so this imagined encounter would never happen.

If she was there, then I never knew. She would definitely navigate around me, and I'm certainly not shy. Partially to give her that opportunity to steer away from me, and somewhat to prove myself I can enjoy this without her.

Petty, I know. But it was the only play I had left: the best revenge on exes is to be happy / happier without them.

Nowadays, and every year since I'm a DJ, MC, entertainer, and all-around good guy for Amore Events & Entertainment LLC so I'm on the lookout for new music, newest trend, etc. This year's Bumbershoot was no different. I didn't buy a ticket or even request the time off from the warehouse. That's my bane of Bumershoot. I won't go back until I have someone else to rock with and to replace those heartbreak memories with happier ones.

My question(s) to you, Seattle...

  • Have you been to Bumbershoot?
  • If not, why not, what's preventing you?
  • If so, how many times?
  • Are you rocking next year (2017)?
  • Do you enjoy the music, the movies, or peripheral acts more?


Until next week, be good like you should, and if you can't be good, be good at what you do!

Mic drop *bOoM*
'los; out 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper