Skip to main content

"Lucky" Is Still Lucky - For Now

The microwave version / elevator speech version: I ordered a 64GB iPhone 6 today.

The 'War and Peace' edition right here. Read more ...

I usually don't treat myself until it's absolutely necessary or apparent. From shoes to computers to cars. When I do, I drop top dollar (mad cheddar) on the best value for the equipment based on my intended use and/or longevity of it.

American society become an easily consumable and disposable culture. But I'm old school, raised old school, and probably continue to operate that way.

Take for my example my current phone, 16GB iPhone 5 (no C or S), that I call "Lucky". How I named is even a longer story! And for another time. I purchased it after I lost my Galaxy S phone in the world record setting snowball fight. It's EPIC way to lose a phone, might I add. I didn't have insurance; only the warranty. Which meant I was on the hunt for a new handset. The iPhone 5 was trumpeted as the best of all time. I had already an iMac, and iPod, at this point. Might as well married into the Apple family another piece of equipment.

I attached insurance since I have no contract with T-Mobile, and I was physically purchasing the handset so I protected my investment. I calculated my social life, use, and my business needs would be easily satisfied with 16GB smartphone.

HM. I discovered differently.

The entire time I've had Lucky (15 months), I've changed out the operating system twice. From iOS 6 to 7 and now... iOS 8. I have staunchly held out from upgrading to iPhone 5C or iPhone 5S. Also, my usage has consistency been over the complimentary 1GB of data. EVERY. DAMN. MONTH. I couldn't believe it when I reviewed my account.

I have not, and will not, lament about my phone's performance. It's been admirable if you think on this knowledge I'm about to drop. The more your service provider "throttles" your data intake, it's more processing power for your handset to reach the network to pull down the data.

This month in particular has particularly rough for Lucky. I used FaceTime, and Skype to Cher while she was in New Jersey. That absolutely will absorb all the data, and quickly. All the while only having 935MB (less than a 1GB) of memory to use for.

Picture this. I'm asking you to sprint up Mt Si, full throttle, and the while I add 10 lbs to a backpack I already loaded with 50 lbs of rock! Not easily done, and not very realistic to have great expectations.

After I visited the Issaquah T-Mobile store, I walked away with peace of mind that I purchased a piece of equipment for my future. It's an investment. Based on my usage, and demands, I invested in a 64GB memory phone which may seem excessive to some, but for a photoG AND a DJ, it's needed. Also will bump up my data plan 3GB so I can maximize the efficiency of my unnamed phone ...

And what of Lucky, you ask?

Sadly, as part of the deal, I must exchange Lucky to receive my new phone. While I'm sentimental, when I shouldn't be, it was choice to better my future. So he's still 'lucky', and will be until the iPhone 6 is shipped.

For now!

'los; out

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper