Skip to main content

A Decade of Digging - Gym Class Hero

HM. I’m nearing my 10th anniversary of digging at the gym, which I typically call it, ‘Gym Class Heroes’ action. Generally confuses everyone, which is fine with me. I’m almost 39 years old, and I remember when I was 29 …

 

It was 2005. I was barreling down my dirty thirties. My co-workers and friends who were already in their 30’s were in the best shape of their lives. At least from my perspective. And here I was in the worst shape of my life. Now then, I was still killing burgers, brew, and quad-mochas like they were going out of style. I knew deep down I needed to take action then, or I’m doomed to fitness failure later in my life.

 

And I promised myself I wouldn’t be.

 

I don’t make promises that I don’t keep, especially to myself! I sought out assistance, and through a complicated, even longer story, I met up Ken Lipparelli. Or Big Kenny as the gym rats would call him. I approached with my fitness goals, and how I thought they could be met. He smiled with that tolerant yet you-clearly-don’t-know-what-you’re-doing look. I told him no holds barred, nothing is too much.

 

I was in for a treat!! I did everything he asked. I wouldn’t quit either, and I didn’t give up, but my body did. The next morning, every single muscle mush. I swear on a stack of Bibles that each one had been separated from the bone. I literally couldn’t bend my arms enough to put a fork to my face, wash myself in the shower, and more. Like wipe my own ass – don’t ask. I looked like a life-sized version of G.I. Joe action figures with the ‘bendable elbow’ and Kung-Fu grip.

 

It was ridiculous! My wife (at the time) actually took pity on me (rarity) She literally grabbed my wrist, lend against me to fold my arm back.

 

The next week, I met up with Kenny. 


I asked him, practically crying, “What did you do to me?”

“Set up you and your body for the future,” he smiled.

“By killing me?”

He instructed, “Not at all. Muscle memory. You see there’s a thin membrane around each of your muscles. And muscles grow only from tiny tears being regrown as scar tissue. And now that I’ve broken you down to an elementary state, your muscles will never feel this excruciating kind of pain ever again. Trust me. You do still trust me, right?”

I begrudgingly agreed, “Yes.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you above your mumbling. Do you?”

I barked, “YES!”

 

… and sure enough, Kenny was right. Never felt that kind of pain once it dissipated. I continued to work out with a meal plan (proper fuel), and a regimented weight work so I could achieve 15” guns, broad shoulders, nice chest, and a V-shape to me.

 

Based on my gym observations, I submitted a word to Urban Dictionary dot com: January Joiner, February Failure. Basically a majority of folks have a NYE resolution to hit the gym! But they usually do so with no plan, no PT, and no specific goal other than to ‘lose weight’. So they tough it out for a month, and quit by February only to return the gym back to its sleepy ambiance.

 

I digress.

 

Long story made short [I can hear you cry, TOO LATE] I’m grateful to have pulled the trigger, and have kept digging years before I tattooed my leg up. It’s been 10 years, and let’s see if I can make it yet another 10 years!

 

This has been MY C Note.

 

‘los; out

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper