Skip to main content

Vancouver Away Match – So Laminated On The Neagle Bus

Vancouver Away Match – So Laminated On The Neagle Bus
By Carlos Bayne


Ever since the Friends episode that aired with the laminated list, I’ve had a laminated list.  [See Friends, Season 3, Episode 5, The One with Frank Jr] And really, an interest in lamination.


Fast forward to my 2nd away match with the Emerald City Supporters, which now will be referred to as the ECS on May 24th 2014 to Vancouver, British Columbia. My little sister, Charrina Bayne, which now will be referred only was West Coast Playa (WCP), invited a couple of bros and myself. Based on my experience last time she invited me back, and the ECS would welcome me back anytime I can figure it out.


I gathered up my gear, save for my beloved, coveted SSFC scarf. Why? Because I know myself, and I know in my heart of hearts that it’ll get damaged, lost, or stolen. All results I didn’t want so I brought a replacement item that if lost, no big loss – my laminated sign of “Scarfs Up” / “Give Us Your Full 90”.


Our bros, Jesse Wise and Bryan Yokoyama, were about to be indoctrinated into the ECS culture, and the fever of soccer that can only be experienced not described with mere words on paper. Period.


Since this is not our first rodeo, WCP and I, were the unspoken leaders of our crew. Our responsibility is to guide our friends to an EPIC time of soccer, community, drunken revelry and so much more!


And we did exactly that!


WCP randomly chose the Neagle Bus to be our fun-Vee (thank you J-Flip for the boost) to “Oh, Canada”. After pre-gaming in the parking lot, and meeting up our seatmates, Andrew and Ben, we boarded the fun-Vee. Last time, our bus was so loud, and amp’d that it was directly out of the scene in Gremlins, in which all the gremlins were gathered up in the movie theater ready to watch a movie AFTER they decimated the town.


We were about to do the same…


WCP and I made Jell-O shots so we could contribute to the party atmosphere and kick-start the fun! Hell, we did come to sing, we came to drink. Captain Tom, (love that guy!), and his sidekicks, Beth and her wing woman (Editor’s note: Please identify this woman, believe her name is Alicia) introduced themselves, ran through some housekeeping items, with the microphone.


After surveying the scene, and initial behavior of folks, WCP and I decided that we needed to step up to be the leaders onboard the bus for fun for them as well.


This is SSFC, people!
It’s CASCADIA CUP!
Let’s bring home, George.
Let’s get amp’d!
Let’s go MENTAL.


I walked up and down the aisle handing out my prized Jell-O shots. Once seated, started chanting in the hopes the ECS would join in.


They did.


With little prompting, Jesse engaged in conversation with the Captain Tom and crew. The topic of the term “white-girl-wasted” was discussed. And it was decided that the 2014 term and for the duration of the trip would be…


LAMINATED!


Honestly, this is exactly how these things start. And I was overjoyed. I knew that’s how it gets started. Because of a sign. The keg of ECS Blonde was tapped, a second of Jell-O shots was dispensed, the chanting began in earnest, and we’re bombing north as Albert rocked the pilot seat.


WCP and I exchanged looks and smiles: The 2014 Neagle Bus will be the EPIC bus of the ECS Away Match.


I didn’t quite hear the conversation, but Captain Tom dubbed Jesse Wise as J-Flip, based on his observation of Jesse’s scarf that was askew and not worn like the rest of the ECS. We’ve been trying to puzzle out his handle for the crew – and we loved it!


Later on, I made a small request of Captain Tom, ask the bus to participate in my ECS, SSFC Harlem Shake video, directed by my bro, J-Flip. As anticipated, they did. Not to be outdone by her big bro, WCP rocked a keg stand WHILE THE FUN-VEE WAS IN MOTION!


All of this before Marysville Rest Area stop – jeezus.


After killed all the available alcohol, and that brief stop, we bounced again. I suggested that since Obafemi Martins has a song and a bus named after him, we should create a song for Lamar Neagle.


It only seemed appropriate, really.


Sure enough, Beth North, stepped up with her pad and pen. She led us in rhyme and song. Remember. We came to drink, we came to sing!


We were so laminated. And laminated on the hash tag Neagle Bus – you’d have to be on the bus to understand. Like I wrote prior, must experience this and not read about it. It’s that visceral.


Vancouver, British Columbia – BC Place Stadium. Finally! We’re here. Let’s do this, y’all. Let’s give our full 90 by going MENTAL. I should note that the last time I rocked up, I got a migraine. A debilitating migraine. WCP brought the medicine on the bus, we left on the bus and not into the stadium.


This is would be my undoing.


BC Place gets so hot, that I get heat exhaustion complete with all the symptoms of migraine, nausea, and eventual vomiting – both times.


BC Place 2, ‘los with the most 0. Oh, Canada.


And just like last time, my crew, and my new friends, were concerned and wished me well. But I just had to keep digging, take medicine and simply pass out on the bus. That was by half time, sadly.


After it was all said and done, SSFC 2, Vancouver Whitecaps 2, so it was a draw. We boarded the bus with our one point toward MLS Cup and Cascadia Cup – still on top of both. Thankfully, I did pass out, as I was grateful for the blackness.


J-Flip decided that selfies with my near-lifeless body was all he was gonna do versus using a Sharpie on my forehead. Honestly, my wingman / little sister / custodian / my hero, WCP probably wouldn’t allow it as her ever-watchful eye was on him – I’m confident of that.


The rest of the bus continued to get laminated, and chant Neagle Neagle Super Star, and merrymaking.


Before we arrived to the Northgate Park and Ride, I came back from the dead with the words as I sang “You know, I want Jesse’s beer!” Jesse kept killing Coors Light he boosted from someone’s contribution to the bus fun.


We exchanged contact information, said our goodbyes, and stepped off the now-famed Neagle Bus.


I looked over my shoulder one last time to observe the smiles, the laughs, and joyous sounds emanating from the bus. I had to smile myself – WCP and I done did good. Our mental list of goals was accomplished.


So laminated!
 
#solaminated #neaglebus #sounders #awaymatch #EmeraldCitySupporters #weareecs #eternalblueforevergreen





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper