Skip to main content

One Nation. One Team. One Tribe.


 


One nation.
One team.
One tribe.

I'm not certain why this edition of World Cup is so captivating with the Seattle area but I'm loving it! The casual viewer / fan is hitting me up about their questions to which I answer with the thought it'll encourage them to learn more and learn to love the 'world's sports'. Seriously it's a sport that needs no translation!

It brings out nationalism, and pride for country, too. Speaking of that... when I was growing up through the 1980's the thought was one nation, under God, and uniformity. So my mom, bless her soul, refused to teach Tagalog or Visayan to my sister and I.

As we rolled into the 1990's though, the societal pendulum swung the other direction to return to your roots. So identify with your cultural heredity, then fiercely protect it. At least be loud and proud of it. My vain attempt to start learning a new language fell short as my mother simply didn't know how to accommodate our want of learning a language.

At least she taught us how to cook.

And we understood our cultural background by immersion, and observation of mother. Thankfully we participated in a non-profit organization called the Snohomish-King County Filipino-American Association.

Again, I usually referred to myself as an American-Filipino. I'm an American first. Period. 'Murica! Why does American / America play second fiddle to identifying yourself? I was born, raise and with any luck, die here on American soil. African-American, Islamic-American, Chinese-American, etc all since have baffled me on those applications to jobs, schools, and more.

This is the United States of America, correct? So if you were born here the correct way to reference yourself is American-Chinese. I totally get it if you were a South Korean and then you earned your citizenship - Korean-American, it is.

I'm a proud patriot but not so blinded by it to not allow room for others, but honestly that how you should do it.

That's why my country is the greatest on the planet! I can have this viewpoint, because it was unalienable right given to me as soon as I showed up. BAM!

This has been your C Note!

'los; out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper