Skip to main content

What's That Smell: Call A Mechanic

When I ask what's that smell: call a mechanic - I usually don't. One aspect of car ownership is repairs and fixes - no one really likes them because they tend to be expensive, and you couldn't do the work yourself if you wanted to. Most people, at least Americans, don't want to do much more than gas and go with the occasional oil change thrown in.  Especially when I was young and brash with my brand new car, a 1997 Honda Civic. The following is the funniest car service call I've had about any vehicle I've owned and/or operated.

What's That Smell: Call A Mechanic

I prided myself on my ability to do my oil changes, and other regular maintenance tasks. There was one however, that I simply couldn't figure out. One summer day, I got a whiff of fuel, and thought, What's that smell: call a mechanic - before it's too late. I loved and cared for my car because this was the first one that was brand new, no one owned it and I'm making payments towards it! I was really #adulting at this point.

For weeks I'd been smelling this gasoline smells every time I accelerated or braked. I thought for a hot-second it was a fuel line leak or the exhaust line. I crawled under, over, and scoured the engine bay. I put a piece of cardboard underneath it to catch the fluid drops - nothing! I gave up asking what's that smell: call a mechanic. I was convinced it was a type of repair that would be covered by warranty so I call the dealership.

I briefly described my issue over the phone with as much technical data and terms. I knew they wouldn't guarantee anything over the phone, but had appointments open so we agreed on a date and hung up the phone.

A few hours later  after dropping off my car at the Lynnwood Honda, I received the courtesy phone call.

"Mr. Bayne?" the caller asks.
"Yes, it's me. Did you isolate the issue?" I pressed.
"Oh, yes. We did. Do you want the good news first or bad news?"
I paused, "Bad news so the good news can help soothe it."
The tech continued, "Ok, then. Mr Bayne were you aware that you had a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in your trunk?"
I literally had nothing more than and maybe one of item. "Yes, why?"
"Bad news is that it's leaking which would explain why you only smelled it when you were on the gas or brake. It was toss it around the trunk as it moved around on the carpet."
I frowned. "Ok, what's the good news then?"
"The good news is that it'll only cost one-hour of labor of $85 plus tax, of course."
"Of course," I repeated. "I'll be there soon," as I clicked the phone dead without so much as waiting for the usual salutations.

I literally paid someone to look into my trunk. I might as well have asked where do the blinker fluid go.
Have you had a funny and/or shareable car problem story? Wanna post it below in the comments? Let me know!

Mic drop *bOoM*
'los; out

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper