Skip to main content

Love Thy Neighbor

I'm not Catholic or religious by any means, but there is some value in the 'love thy neighbor' adage. Nowadays, I can tell you a majority of neighborhoods, at least in the Seattle metroplex, that people have lived next to each other for years without introducing themselves or even know their names! Gone are the days of the sense of community, which saddens me greatly.

Growing up my niche of the world was a tight-knit community in which we all know of each other in the cul-de-sac. We were proud to call each other neighbors. We might not necessarily the best of friends, or even entered each other's homes, but damn, at least we knew of each other. And, I vowed to myself, that if I ever own a home, and in a neighborhood, I would add to the sense of community once I arrived, or start to build it if none existed.

I was gonna love thy neighbor, and demonstrate to others how to do it, too.

Last week, I moved into a house I purchased in Lake Stevens in a cul-de-sac, thus completing my #2015TabulaRaseDeclaration of having a permanent address by the end of 2016.

I quickly introduced myself to the neighbors as I found them. I wanted to start the rapport right away as the newest member of the community. I do this for several reasons, one of which I already listed above.

The others? Well, to name a few 1) to continue to be transparent in my transactions with others 2) that they’ll know the move-in type of activity (ies) that’ll be going in the next few months 3) to start my history on a good-foot because there’s never a second chance for a first impression.

One of my neighbors is Armon. He was quite a chatterbox as he knew quite a few the other neighbors, and frankly the ones to avoid. He dished out the latest and greatest on my house as well as a brief history.

He had a hilarious backstory for the now-butchered trees in my front yard which are close to the front windows of the house. Apparently a very public, loud, and escalated argument took place between a boyfriend and girlfriend of the landscaping company. In order to get ‘even’ with the girlfriend, he hacked on the tress until it looked like something outta Tim Burton’s mind or a Dr. Seuss book!

At least it’ll be something to talk about for passenger-by’s as they search for Pokemon in their #PokemonGO game! They do look rather gnarly.

Another neighbor of mine is Joy. He’s a hoot thus far. He has a large Cambodian extended family.  They invited me into their home without hesitation on Saturday night when I mentioned that I didn’t have any appliances. He returned from a crabbing excursion at Camano Island, and the wife cooked it up already.

I literally walked into a house teeming with family members which a pang of jealousy hit me. Again, I quickly introduced myself altogether I have to admit the name game will be tough to recall names.

 They asked me to sit down on the ground like another family member. They served me a plate of seasoned crab, ribs, chicken, and a cold beer to wash it all down with. I decided right then and there these were my people. Joy, and his wife, Christina, shared with me that the house was abandoned for 5 plus years. They were surprised how long it stayed empty. Much to their dismay as well because they loved the “additional” driveway and parking spots.

They also reiterated what Armon said as to cooperates with whom and you to avoid. Basically corroborated his story! So far, so good. Thus far, I love thy neighbors.

My challenge to you is this: Get to know your neighbor. Just one! The apartment / condo / townhome next door, or the next-door neighbor by introducing yourself. You’d be amazed what you’ll find out about yourself and them. Life is rough enough without help, might as well seek out help from those that you live with in the same community.

It’s only one Spaceship Earth, so find out who’s living around you to become #onetribe. Comment below what your experience is!

Until next week, be good like you should and if you can’t be good … be good at what you do!

Mic drop bOoM


‘los; out

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper