Skip to main content

Competitive Carlos - America's Keystone


So this happened yesterday at the Issaquah Subway… A co-worker and I were having lunch on nom-nom quality sando love, right? Well, Ron asked me what I was doing on the weekend. It seems I’m always up to something. I go on to explain that I am issuing the awards that I created and bought for my birthday weekend Superhero Scavenger Hunt.

He asked what kinda of awards, and I launched into this rhetoric.

I announce: “I wanted to make the winners feel special, but also acknowledge the efforts of the participants. After all, they did put forth an effort to 1) get dressed up 2) motor down to Fremont 3) run around taking pictures 4) and partied with me while in costume. C’mon, I’ve gotta do something special.”

Ron replies: “Nowadays, at public schools they only issue participation ribbons for events like Field Day. No more 1st to 3rd place.”

I fired back: “WHAT? That’s horseshit. What happened to the days of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place podium finish? We’re celebrating mediocrity? Awesome, America.”

I shake my head in disbelief. “Competition is the keystone to the foundation of America, the United State of America! If you didn’t win, then that’s your motivation to keep digging to be a winner the next time around. Seriously, I’m gonna quote the movie, The Rock. Losers whine about their best, while the winners come home and f the prom queen! C’mon, America. Do better, separate the best from the rest, yo.

I pause, and Ron smiles.

I continue: “Lemme tell ya a story from my childhood, Ron. The Cub Scouts of America every year host the Pinewood Derby contest. [He has a son so he already knew about this] The last year of cub scouts is WE.B.LO.S – We Be Loyal Scouts. Dad and I were determined to win that year. We were torched every other year. So we designed, finessed, and battled to the finals, and ended up being 3rd place. I was so disappointed, upset, and mad. Later that afternoon, my Dad found me outside near the woodshed, sobbing while holding my Pinewood Derby Car entry and the 3rd place ribbon.”

“Dad asked me why I was pouting. I muttered through pursed lips, ‘We didn’t win, Dad.’ He smiled, he knew his son was truly a competitive spirit. He coached me, ‘That’s true, sonny boy. However, the bright side is you beat all but two competitors. That means next time you’ve got your goal to beat all other competitors. Besides, all the variables will change the next time around, meaning that’ll mean different results. You can only focus and concentrate on your efforts, and your game. Don’t worry about the others. Just do your best with what you got. And if your best is the best overall, then great. And if not, keep trying until it is. So chin up, ‘los. Imagine what the 4th place boy is thinking. He didn’t earn a ribbon, a spot on the podium, or a photo. He received a participation ribbon. Feel like a winner in the Olympics. Frankly, you are a winner.’”

“Ron, that’s the origin of my competitive spirit, and the reason why mediocre efforts shouldn’t be rewarded!”

Little did I realize that my rhetoric was loud enough for the restaurant to hear, or the lady behind me lingering long enough at the fountain drink filling station to hear it all. She smiled as she walked out and looked at Ron.

I observed the expression on his face change, so I asked, “What’s up, bro?”

He pointed with his chin, “That lady agreed with you. She stuck around long enough to hear what you had to say!”

“Competition breeds winners! Just saying.”
 
This has been your C Note - best summarized as keep digging, y'all.
 
'los; out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper