Skip to main content

Sapphire Sled v1.1

UPDATE 11/25/13
Microwave Version: Not exactly what I had planned for version 1.1 but long story short, my stock radio and speakers have been exchanged for an entertainment system! Pioneer AVHX3500T 2 DIN [touch screen, Bluetooth technology, HD radio, CD player, DVD player, Pandora capable, and most importantly, iPod / iPhone capable!] and Infinity speakers have been installed. (Pictured below)
 
I was just informed it's ready for pick up today!
 
 

Now if you care or dare to read a feel-good-heart-warming-story as to how AND why this came about, read on. It's lengthy (what 'los story isn't?), but I'm confident it'll make the day-to-day all the more worth it on this intergalactic ball of dirt and water that I constantly refer to as Spaceship Earth. 

I firmly believe that the Universe / Fate / Luck / God / the Gods / no gods make things right. Maybe not in the way you envisioned or prefer but it does - IF you recognize pivotal moments that are the primer. You may not have the empirical evidence in front of you to make that decision. However, if you are self-aware then you recognize a reflection of your character, virtues, and whatnot in others that are around you. 

I call it confidence in faith. And the following is an exercise in faith that everybody needs a win every once in awhile to make it worth digging, so my words keep digging are not empty. 

Here's my story and it goes a little something like this... About seven years ago, I was out and about with my wife at the time, Charlene. She would loudly protest when I thought I would recognize someone and wished to say hi. We were in the Lynnwood area, and I knew I recognized a high school buddy of mine. So I strutted over to say hi. 

His name is Albert Phousavan. 

We exchanged pleasantries at first. Briefly caught up. Upon our departure, he handed me his business card: Auto and Marine Works, owner and operator. Cool! I didn't have my dream car yet so it'll have to keep (1998 Honda Civic LX) 

Fast forward those 7 years. I was thumbing through my business cards, which Albert's was there. Many on FB have been thankful about someone or something for each day of November. I didn't care to join that but thought I would reach out to him. The version 1.2 of the SS would be to update, upgrade and finally fix my situation that I currently have going on. See below the photos I snapped of my frayed 30-pin connector for my iPod [named Mark IV] 

He was happy to speak with me after all these years. He doesn't recall the chance encounter 7 years ago, only our last high school conversation over 20 years ago. At any rate, he didn't have the store anymore with the economy during into a dogshit. Without airing his dirty laundry, and putting him on blast, I sympathized with his update on his story since we last spoke because I lived through the same!

I requested him to review my situation in the Sapphire Sled, my little high-maintenance princess. I described over the phone the stock radio, and the janky ass job that Car Toys did to mod my car to play my iPod. He asked if I could bomb up to his crib. When he saw he calm about his assessment which took all of 30 seconds. I think he was horrified.

Here's the current radio:

He and I discussed at length what I envisioned for the Sapphire Sled. Once satisfied we were on the same page, we jetted for budgeting car audio pricing. I didn't anticipate buying and installing right then and there but those are the moments you should recognize as priceless and seize them. We agreed on a price to purchase the items and his labor.

He texted this morning the following at 1:15 am. "Hey Buddy - Sorry it's taken me longer than I had original anticipated and told you that your car would be done by. I just got very meticulous with everything and wanted to make sure everything was done right and the way that I felt satisfied with, rather than just popping in the equipment to get it in & out, & ship it out on its way.  Anywho... It all turned out FANTASTIC!!! ALL WORKS & SOUNDS AWESOME!!!  I hope that you'll be happy with it, cause you put full confidence & trust in my recommendations without question. It's ready whenever you are, so call me whenever."

So what's my point, you ask? That while I didn't plan Sapphire Sled v1.1 to be an upgraded entertainment system, what better way for the Universe / Life / etc to present me an option to not only get it done, but get someone I know a much-needed-win, while learning to have faith and trust in humanity that I've been sorely missing?

My friend, Megan Lovett nee Schneider, told me once, "All things for all reasons." I may not readily understand the reason, or even like the reason, I must respect the fact there is a reason for everything.

Sight unseen or rather unheard, I'm more than confident that my friend did a fantastic job, and my mash ups I created will sound wicked cool as that type of heat will blaze out my new Infinity speakers!!

More updates later, and of course, more photos to follow. What's next, Rice Chex? Turbo kit installation with a different guy. To be continued...

This has been your C Note!

'los; out
 
UPDATE 11/16/13
To my FB friends and family, that know import tuners, or turn wrenches on imports: I have a turbo kit that is not a bolt-on, which I knew from the beginning, and is basically universal fit. So it fits none. I already know of someone-of-someone but thought I would share my dilemma.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

UPDATE 11/16/13
My baby is back! The Sapphire Sled and it's rightful pilot, 'los with the most, are reunited and it feels so good. Just parked it in the Batcave:


Thank you, boys the the shop! You did an OUTSTANDING JOB!! Doctor Auto is the best in the business Here's what was done:

  • New engine
  • New clutch
  • Machined the flywheel
  • New brake caliper and hardware
  • Oil change
  • Front end inspection and alignment


UPDATE 11/14/13
Just spoke to the good doctor. The Sapphire Sled is running, and off to the alignment shop, which was the entire reason why I delivered the SS in the first place!

No go on the turbo, peeps. Long story, tell ya later. I might just have my lil' princess back before the weekend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 11/1/13
My trusty mechanic, Greg Martinez, texted me these photos of progress on the Sapphire Sled's "surgery" by the good Doctor Auto.


And for the turbo kit on the engine...



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE!! 10/31/13
No trick, all treat. My engine was delivered today. WOO HOO!



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I’m happy to announce that I have located an engine, did as much due diligence as I could over the internet, discussed with my trusty mechanic, and purchased it today! It’s shipping out soonish. It’s coming out of Tampa , possibly the furthest point in the continental US away from me. Since I was dropping mad cheddar, I picked up a Turbonetics Turbo Kit:

The turbo kit comes with:
- k20a cast manifold
- direct bolt on aluminum intercooler piping for RSX (with silicones and clamps)
- intercooler
- Turbonetics T3T4 .63 TRIM turbo charger (good for 350-400 hp) (journal bearing)
- 38mm Godspeed waste gate (7psi)
- universal blow off valve (the color will be random picked)
- intake piping and intake cone
- waste gate dump tube
- oil feed line, and oil return line kit
- stainless turbo elbow
- 3" stainless turbo down pipe

Got me wondering… what else did I upgrade? Foreverness ago, I upgraded the wheels to OZ Sports, and while I was at it, I upgraded the brakes too. Custom painted to match the car, too!

… and furthermore, what else do I have in store for this ride? Well, you’ll just have to tune in on a regular basis and find out! This has been your C Note.


‘los; out

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper