Skip to main content

Funniest Call Center Stories II - Curaçao

In my continued 5 part series of Funniest Call Center Stories... In American society, invariably you've contacted a call center filled wall-to-wall with customer service representatives (CSRs) And for twenty years, I was a call center rat in some capacity. In some of those call centers, I rose through the ranks to be promoted to title of supervisor. Not only did we manage the workers, but we took escalated calls. The following is part 2 of 5 posts based on the funniest call center stories I have to share.

Funniest Call Center Stories: Part II - Curaçao

This story took place at Costco Travel, where I worked for 13 years. It was my first year, so I really wanted to make an impression. My trainer, Corrie, was promoted to supervisor that same year. She was my direct supervisor, in fact. Therefore she oversaw my development.
One of my Funniest Call Center Stories is another one regarding pronunciation of words. A Costco Member called in wanting to a book Southern Caribbean cruise that embarked from San Juan, Puerto Rico. He knew the itinerary but clearly didn't quite know the ports of calls like I did.

We agreed on all but one: Curaçao. He had a Southern accent, but he insisted on calling it kur-ROCK-co. I explained to him the name is Dutch in origin, but he kept grating on my soul with his rough kur-ROCK-co. I was in my mid 20's so I was in the "save the world, by educating everyone" with my correct pronunciation of the island. He refused. I found myself locked horns with a stubborn, uneducated Southerner over the how to say Curaçao.
After 20-minutes, I caved. I need a sale for the day, this guy was clearly in-it-2-win-it, so as I was announcing my recap of the itinerary, Corrie started walking around.

I timed her arrival, and my incorrect pronunciation of Curaçao with a loud "kur-ROCK- CO" which stopped her dead in tracks. She and I exchanged looks while I talked on the phone. She attempted to approach me but I held up my hand, then with my index finger and wagged it back and forth as warning to not EVEN think of correcting me.

I was dumber for this conversation as I could feel the "stupid" seeping into my brain.

Corrie knew from her experience with me to not question my actions so she asked later what was the drama, and why I purposely alerted to her to it. I said I was right, and should have been recognized. She smiled, and replied, "Los, sometimes the simple satisfaction of being correct should be it."
Instead of being puffy-chested about it, and let my ego get in my way, I sighed. She was right. I let it go. 'sides I got the sale.

So if you're ever on the Dutch island of kur-ROCK-co, be sure to greet my a**hat client as I'm convinced he was left there by Carnival Cruise Lines.

Until next time, be good like you should, and if you can't be good, be good at what you do!
Mic drop *bOoM*
'los; out

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper