Skip to main content

How to Enjoy The End of Summer

Bye Bye Summer
With August 2017 in the books, and September just starting, it's time to say goodbye to summer. How are you going do it? Here's a few ideas on How to Enjoy The End of Summer, as far as I'm concerned.

Once again the 3-months afforded to us, Washingtonians, has evaporated. But we have one last chance before summer is officially over, and the kids have returned to school... that is known as Labor Day Weekend.

One glorious 3-day holiday weekend for last hurrah. I know it's difficult to wrap your head around summer being done like dinner. How to enjoy the end of summer can be done.

I read various articles on ways to rock the ending of summer. I quoted a few, added some myself, and here we go:

How to Enjoy The End of Summer

Geocache! That's right, y'all. It's the worldwide sensation; either continue or start it. The GPS-based, scavenger hunt game is awesome way to celebrate. I realize I've written about this before but it's perfect way to enjoy the end of sunny days for several reasons: you get outside, soak up the sunshine, you're walking and hiking, you engage your mind as you puzzle out the clues, you sharpen your observation skills as you locate the hide, and create memories with your friends and family as you move from cache to cache. To get started today, click here to open your free account to get connected. I even created a FB Group if you wanna join it: Geocaching Pacific Northwest.

Read Outside - My teacher friend, Andi, posted a photo of her poolside, enjoying some literary work. It's a struggle for me to read at all for any reason. Since I love the sun, perhaps adding one good aspect to a good habit to start (reading) would be the way to go.

Late Summer Gardening - I know, I know. Not one of the traditional ways on How to Enjoy The End of Summer, but it's not too late to stick your fingers in dirt ... if that's your thing! There are plenty of fruits and veggies that can be produced prior to the frost of fall.

Swim - The Pacific Northwest is dotted with bodies of water from creeks, rivers to lakes and ocean. Yes, it's too late to float rivers but who said you can't wade in waist deep and plunge right in off of rope swing. It's also a great way #beattheheat as I've mentioned before!

Visit a Farmer's Market - There are still quite a few of farmer's market that are open through the Labor Day Weekend.

Host A Potluck Party - Summer is the best time to catch up with friends before the busy school season begins. One way to do this is to host a potluck dinner, where you ask each guest to bring part of the meal. This way you have everything for a fantastic meal and no one has to spend hours over a hot stove preparing things – but instead can relax outside, enjoying each other’s company. Also fire up the grill! There is a caveat: you must use charcoal. Propane grills score for efficiency, but nothing smells of summer like charcoal. Plus it'll give you inspiration to create a music playlist to complete the ambiance.

Home Repair - You know you've put it off all summer long. Before the fall weather begins, is the best time to walk around your house to ensure that nothing needs to be repaired before the cold season hits. Fences can be painted and gutters cleaned out on a nice warm day.
Free - In the area, outdoor movies are usually hosted for free, as well as free admission days local attractions such as museums, etc.

Step Up - With FitBit purchases on the rage, and other devices that count your steps ... why not make it fun, and start a challenge on Labor Day Weekend? Challenge colleagues or friends and family to walk a certain amount of steps every day. Give incentives and fun prizes for the weekly winners, so that competition will ensue. This gives you a great excuse to get outside and explore, while the weather is still nice – plus it promotes good health with exercise.

Wake Up Early - Wake up early. Say what? Summer is supposed to be the season of relaxation and sleeping in. But as the daylight hours shorten, waking up early is the only way to maximize the sun’s Vitamin D-giving goodness. Bonus: if you live near the ocean, the waves are probably getting bigger.

Nest - Every other animal is busy preparing for winter. No, don’t pack on mega-pounds for hibernation, à la black bears. Instead, think of nesting as organization. When your 3-season tent has seen its last workday for the year, air it out, treat it with Tent and Gear Solarproof and pack it away. Pull out your cold weather gear and proof it for the season. Most manufacturers, as well as retailers like REI, have online recommendations for the proper way to pack and store your summer gear for winter.

And the list goes on, as you can imagine. No matter you choose, definitely choose on How to Enjoy The End of Summer before it's too late and Old Man Winter is on your doorstep.

Now, if you can accuse me, I’ll be cueing up Theory of a Deadman’s hit, “End of the Summer”.

Mic drop *bOoM*
'los; out

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper