Skip to main content

Fight or Forfeit - Who Actually Wins?

I'm usually not fired up enough by news reports that warrants an online response. However, the local recent headline of "Fifth Team To Forfeit to Archbishop Murphy" has done exactly that. The question at hand is: do you fight or forfeit - who actually wins?

What am I specifically talking about? I'll tell you. Through the first 3 games the Archbishop Murphy Wildcats have won and outscored their opponents for an incredible 173-0. Then the next team to play was Sultan High School, which they forfeited to the Wildcats citing unfair competitive edge, player size, and that it would be unwise and unsafe to play.

YOWZA!

T.E.A.M. (Together Everyone Achieves More) 
My immediate reaction originated from a boy who wasn't selected to be on the high school team, let alone have any playing time. That boy was me! I'm confident I had (have) the skill needed to excel as a competitor but was never given the chance. I gaffed it off as nothing because in my 4 years of high school, the team didn't win one game.

In my mind, I might've been able to contributed to a win either by skill or by motivation. Regardless, I'll never know. All I do know is that, IF I was selected, I damn sure was dead set on playing.

So when I read that local high school teams were forfeiting to Archbishop Murphy, I gnashed my teeth and grumbled, "That's not very keep digging like at all."

I've been taught by my parents that "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog".
I've learned that just because an opponent is bigger, or faster then that makes me figure out a way to win with my resourcefulness. I learned an acronym from my friend, Diana Bechel, "T.E.A.M. (Team Everyone Achieves More)!" David vs. Goliath is another example!

But before I wrote anything in anger, I wanted to gain a 360 degree perspective on the issue.

I read article after article from local newspapers to USA Today (yes, they actually reported on the issue) to watching the Jimmy Fallon clip. Even Brock Huard stated, "If you're going to forfeit; don't play football".

After I felt I understood the concerns and issues at hand from all sides, I reached out to a few specific people in my orbit.

A football coach, and a mother of a previous high school quarterback, that were not involved in the situation so that it would be objective enough in my eyes.

Once I read their answers, my black-and-white, keep digging, nut up and shut up, hardline stance soften a bit. I chalk up it up to cooler heads prevail in my mind, but I think it just might be maturity. Furthermore, in my mind, it brings to light that if there's such a lopsided scale of talent in this part of student-athlete life, why does it even exist?

Why does the WIAA (Washington Interscholastic Athletic Association) allow private schools with different enrollment and recruiting rules compete with public schools? I understand the concerns of parents. Especially after communicating with a mother that mentioned that she's seen her share of teenagers injured during play.

And the football coach I spoke with mentioned that it "boils down to player safety".

But the game of football is innately dangerous. Even Coach Andrews of Olympic HS football team said, ""Football is dangerous, and it's going to be dangerous every night you're out there."

I'm reminded of the pregame speech by Al Pacino's character in the movie, Any Given Sunday. Life is a game of inches.


So, Seattle, who actually wins if you don't fight and forfeit? And if you forfeit, does that team win with an asterisk by it? Lemme know.

'los; out



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper