Skip to main content

Why Keep Digging?

Scars usually have a story, don’t they? Some good, some bad, some happy accidents, and some heart-breaking stories. If you’re ever spent any time around me, invariably, I’ll utter the words, “Keep digging.” The following is the origin story of my scar on my left calf and my tattoo that's above it.

It was a summer day of my senior year in high school in 1994. I was having a blast with my new mountain bike in the summer sun. Up until I was miles away from my home. I jumped the bike off the sidewalk and in a downhill direction. As I landed, the plastic pedals shattered, and my legs jarred the asphalt hard as my groin slammed into the bracing bar. As I grappled for control of my bike, I crashed hard into a faded mustard yellow Ford Pinto. Without a helmet or any other protective gear, I blacked out on impact.

When I was conscious again, I startled myself again with questions I couldn’t possibly answer. 
  • What happened?
  • How long was I out?
  • What am I gonna do now?


After assessing the situation, I realized I was … in a word, screwed. I had a tank top, and bicycle riding shorts with nothing else. No first aid kit, no extra bike parts, literally nothing. My left calf was hurting as bad as the knot on my head.

I looked my calf. An arrow-head shaped piece of plastic shrapnel was embedded into it with blood trickling down. I knew it was a vein as I’ve been bleeding for awhile with a pool of in it my tennis shoe. I quickly calculated that I’m hours away from medical help, and the strong possibility of losing a part of my leg, I decided to tourniquet my leg just below the knee by shredding my tank top.

I propped myself with the ruined bike. No pedals, chain off, and the front tire bent in, meant I was pushing it back home. As I pushed my bike, and dragged my left leg, and I was topless and not feeling good as I probably had a concussion - a passing vehicle stopped. It was a faded two-tone, mint green Ford F250 truck with a missing tailgate, and solid steel yet rusted rear bumper.

The driver might as well have stepped off the set of “Deliverance”. And the man bellowed out his window, “Say, boy, did some help?”

I thought sarcastically that my answer should be self-evident. However, I simply said, “Yes, I’d love some help.”

He drove back to my house in relative silence, and my hand gestures for driving directions. He placed the broken bike in the front yard, and departed with the words, “Keep digging!”

And he drove off, leaving me in utter confusion. Years later I heard it again while watching on TV my sports hero, Dale Earnhardt. Dale was complaining about the performance of his racecar. His race crew encouraged Dale by saying on the radio, “Keep digging”. I thought if that’s good enough for him for motivation then it’s good enough for me!

Years later when I was in my 30’s, I was having a difficult time coping with my divorce. I needed some constant encouragement. I decided that a tattoo would be the perfect solution as it was permanent. In addition, I decided long ago I wouldn’t get a tattoo unless it reflected something I wanted to say: something personal, something profound.

So on a 4th of July weekend which celebrates life, freedom, strength, and encouragement in the face of adversity I tattooed Keep Digging on the back of my left calf.

I had the tattoo artist place it just above the deep scar that almost killed me which symbolizes I choose life over death while I’m still alive.

Ever since that day, the phrase has grown into more than just words. It’s my mantra, it’s my philosophy, and a way of life for me.

And with that, y'all, (yes, you guessed it) keep digging!

‘los

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper