Skip to main content

The Ending Is The Beginning, And The Beginning Is The Ending

I've started this blog entry several times, but still have difficulty posting it. You see, I have some bad news / good news to announce. 

"Bad" news first so that the good news will help alleviate the bad news. As of Friday, 11/27/15, yes Black Friday, it will be my last day at Costco Travel. That'll be the end of 13 and a half years at the company. In this day and age of constant job change for one reason or another, this type of tenure is unheard of. I've been told it's quite an accomplishment. To me, though, it reinforces the type of person I am, and work ethic. 

A pessimist would tell me that I simply tolerated what I couldn't change, and I couldn't find a way out. 

An optimist would tell me that I am a loyal employee to a fault.

I smirk - it's neither. I loved my work (still do), and loved the people and company I worked with / for. If you know anything about me whatsoever, you know this is simply the only acceptable explanation.

Friday will also be the last day of working in the travel industry for the foreseeable future. It's staggering to know I've spent almost 20 years in travel! Man, I must admit that's half my life! Goodness, leaving a career this long is extremely difficult to say the least. Over 13 of those years were spent at one company - practically the only work life I've ever known. Many memories, and so much history. 

The most immediate question I receive: "Why 'los?"

The answer is not as easy as it seems to ask the question. The reasons, to me, seem like justifications of my decision made. Over the summer I had an epiphany. I realized I'm quickly approaching my 40th birthday, which means that I'm 25 years or so to working retirement. 

I thought to myself, "What do I want my legacy to be in the next 2 and half decades?". "What do I want to be known for?" And importantly, "Am I doing that currently? Am I working towards that end?" 

The answers to my questions was "No". I reminded myself of a movie quote that I take to heart. From the Shawshank Redemption, the character Andy said, "I guess the choice is simply, really. Get busy living, or get busy dying."

HM. Hard words to ingest. I decided then and there to get busy living, which segues into my good news. 

On Monday, 11/30, Cyber Monday at that, I'll be working at the Woodinville Costco at a front end cashier. My career path will start with the core business and the parent company of Costco Travel - Costco Wholesale.

That's right! I'll begin my journey on a path that (if you ask anyone who's worked at the warehouse and worked with me at CT) I'll be purportedly successful at with based on my personality, job skills, energy level, and personal skills. 

It's truly an ending that is the beginning, and the beginning is the ending. 

Keep digging,
'los; out


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper