Skip to main content

Dating

Dating. A necessary evil if you're seeking companionship. Completely optional if you're not. Being a single male in the Pacific Northwest, I am on the dating scene therefore seeking companionship.

So evil.

At times it gives you elation. Other times it's frustration. It can be humbling. It can be introspective if a lesson can be learned. All I've learned is that it's about much fun as brushing your teeth with steel wool.  Slightly amusing but mostly painful!

And then... add in the Seattle Freeze. Before you nay-sayers start commenting how it's not real, and all in my head, ask yourself - have you ever looked for it or do you blithely ignore the observation?

It's real, and defined. Don't believe me? Read the following - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Seattle%20Freeze

Still think I'm full of bullshit? Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Freeze

Here's the coup de grace... The Seattle Times Newspaper has a magazine titled, Pacific Northwest. They dedicated an ENTIRE ARTICLE ABOUT IT! http://seattletimes.com/pacificnw/2005/0213/cover.html

Of course, the ones you want, they don't want you and vice versa. So why do I bother, you ask? Re-read the first couple of sentences. You really don't know me if you're asking. Despite the Seattle Freeze, and the passive-aggressive culture of dating, I still keep digging.

At first my approach was reserved. I'm painfully aware of my energetic personality can be "too much" for a first date. That I should "at least hide the crazy past the appetizers". For years, online I would do this. Wow, wildly successful.

Not so much.

I changed my approach based on those failures. I'll be myself but with filters. That was my Tabula Rasa Day IV declaration - to join a paid, online dating website. The free websites are meat markets! YIKES!

... and for a minute, I actually was successful! Yet, still nothing of substance. GGGRRR! All the while, I'm left wondering what the hell is the issue? Or worse yet, issues?

  • Am I good looking enough to date; check. I'm not Channing Tatum, but I could hold my own.
  • Am I intelligent enough to date; check. My IQ is above a room temperature.
  • Am I funny enough to date; check. While I'm no Adam Sandler I do have my own material beyond the plagiarized quotes from movies, songs, and TV shows.
  • Am I... and so on and so forth.

The answer of course is, yes. Yes, I'm good enough for all of that. In fact, I received that feedback from the dates themselves.

"You're a great guy."
"So energetic."
"Wow, you are like your photos."

Yet... no substance. Insert eyeroll here. The more I looked around and thought, "Wow. She's pretty, and funny. I should talk to her." But I don't. In my mind, I've already decided that she's got a husband / fiancée / boyfriend / a friend that's pining away for her in the FriendZone. The cynicism seeping into my soul.

My reaction? To remove the filters, and continue to be myself. My friends joke, even on FB comments, "And you wonder why you're single."

As a  matter of fact, I don't need to wonder! It didn't matter in the first damn place!! UGH! I recently arrived to the conclusion that it's not me.

It's them.

And yes, the following will alienate / put on blast / sound narcissistic, egotistical and arrogant, and frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!

That... I'm awesome. I have yet to meet a female on the planet that is awesome as I am. So I'll just be single and be in my awesomeness.

Dating. Like I said, evil. It's made me evil like this. This has been your C Note.

'los



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper