Skip to main content

Numb3rs Game - What's Yours?

This morning I posted up at the local #PostNet to discuss a print job I wanted to complete. While he was working, and I was waiting for him to completed, we talked a grip. I noticed it's my cousin's birthday, however, it's been a minute since I've exchanged any sort of communication with her so I thought I would break from the norm of jumping on Facebook to post happy birthday like everyone else would do.

However, I knew she was working her way through personal issues which most likely caused her to change her phone number. On the off chance my information was accurate, I sent a text along the lines of "Hey there, I don't know if this is still your phone number, Z, but it's Los. Hit me back if it is."

I didn't receive a reply, so I used FB Messenger to obtain her number. Sure enough, it had changed. Then I chuckled out loud. The clerk asked what was amusing, and hoping it wasn't his quality of work. I assured him it wasn't, and that my inspiration for my laugh was my remembrance of phone numbers. Mine, for example. 

I quipped I've had the same mobile number for 19 years. It's unheard nowadays. Yup, I told him it survived 3 carriers (Verizon, then Voice Stream, and finally T-Mobile), and dozens of handsets (Ericsson, Nokia, Samsung, Motorola, and Apple) 

It wasn't all that interesting to him, as he let the subject drop, but the thinking continued on in my mind. I remembered how it all started and why. 

In 1998, I moved out of my parents for the last time, and in with my girlfriend at the time (she would eventually be my wife) At this time cell phones were gaining popularity with the technology supporting it was growing exponentially. They were becoming smaller in size, reduced in price for affordability, and easier to obtain. 

My Dad worked for Pacific Northwest Bell (prior to all the mergers and name changes) so he actually had one of the earliest mobile phones. It looked very similar to this.

My Dad taught me hella about the phone industry, how it works, and the changes that are about to happen. So when it came time to set up my communications network, per se, then I would have the working knowledge to make it the most successful. 

That day eventually came. So Charlene and I walked into the Verizon store in Kirkland. I understood that 425 area code calling in some areas was long distance therefore a surcharge. However, all 10-digit calling from a 206 area code is local calling no matter what. 

I wanted to choose my number as much as possible. So I asked the clerk what four digits were available to assign. It was 9707. I smiled, and accepted readily. 7 is my birthday date, and consequently my favorite number, 9 is triple of 3 which was Dale Earnhardt's number in the NASCAR circuit, and finally all the numbers added up 9+7+0+7 = 23 which is a prime number. 

I set up 2 cell phones, and a home land line based on those last four digits, yet the area codes of 206, and 425. 

My Dad also taught me about portability of phone numbers as well. Once I set up the phone numbers, I tested each of them for portability. Each one was portable so should I (or she) decided to move from city to city within the same area code we didn't need to be assigned another phone number. All we had to do was remember a new address. 

Another reason I set it up like that was for survival. Should I lose my mobile phone which acted as my address book, all I had to do to remember was the prefix of the phone numbers. Meaning I knew the area code and last 4 digits were static. All I had to do was remember 3 digits, instead of 10. Again, 3 is one of my favorite numbers (I'll explain at another time, or research whether I've posted about that before) 

One more reason it's remained the same is that I'm loyal, and almost to my detriment. Loyal to people, places of business, established processes, and so much more. It's not that I'm lazy, it's just I strike a harmonious situation so it build rapport and familiarity. And my Dad said, "Son, if it works, don't fix it."

When I called T-Mobile Customer Care on that rare occasion, I anticipate chuckling at the beginning of the phone call. Their script is to address me by name, then thank me for being a customer since early 2000. Some of the CRS pause and state that they haven't even worked there for that long, or joke they don't have cars, mobile handsets, and more for that long.

I casually mention that I'm loyal to the process. Sometimes I've encountered an issue with T-Mobile, but so far we've been able to find an amicable agreement. To me, if we concluded a solution to an issue, then there's no need to drag up old issues into new issues because they are done. They are resolved. 

I'm confident there'll be a 20th year of having my mobile number. Until then I'll keep digging with it until my number's up. See what I did there?

'los; out


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper