Skip to main content

Bastion of Bayne Journal

Entry 6, Day 211.

My mantra for the house, which I've titled Bastion of Bayne, was a damn good idea.

Functional Now, Pretty Later

I knew if I had a slogan, a motto, a mantra, a statement, like that, I would have an objective that would drive all of my decisions on home improvement. In my experience if I have the power of that, then I'll be alright.

I also decided that I wanted to document my progress with writing, photography, and videography since I like benchmarks of success. I created a sub-journal within C Note(s) as Bastion of Bayne Journal for the writing aspect. On my YouTube Channel, I created a playlist for videos (and photography) of Bastion of Bayne.

I digress.

A few weeks ago I was able to truthfully say all the items that should be working are now working. In my previous entry, I lied when I stated that Phase I - Functional Now was complete! You see, the GFI's in the kitchen would wired incorrectly so all the outlets on the same circuit as those GFI's were inoperable.

Despite the limited functionality of the kitchen, I continued with the second phase of Pretty Later. I couldn't bear another day of a total crimson colored kitchen. That color was everywhere! On all four walls, and the ceiling. WTF!

However, I didn't outline what I meant by "Pretty Later". You see, I'm a ginormous fan of #Steampunk aesthetic. I was introduced to it by my friend, Jason Cluphf, only to be instantly obsessed with it!

What is Steampunk, you ask? 

Steampunk is a subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery. Although its literary origins are sometimes associated with the cyberpunk genre, Steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the 19th century's British Victorian era or American "Wild West", in a post-apocalyptic future during which steam power has maintained mainstream usage, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power. Therefore, Steampunk may be described as Neo-Victorian.

Steampunk perhaps most recognisably features anachronistic technologies or retro-futuristic inventions as people in the 19th century might have envisioned them, and is likewise rooted in the era's perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art. Such technology may include fictional machines like those found in the works of Jules Verne and H. G. Wells, or the modern authors Philip Pullman, Scott Westerfeld, Stephen Hunt, and China Miéville. Other examples of steampunk contain alternative history-style presentations of such technology as lighter-than-air airships, analogue computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine.

Aiight, so what the hell does that mean for me? It means... that I'm gonna reimagine my ENTIRE HOUSE in the Steampunk style, that's what! Now I'm armed with a theme, I could begin. My color palette wasn't chosen but I could at least start looking into it.

My realtor and friend, Julie F, consulted with me based on my existing furniture, and color preferences which we combined with my inspiration of Steampunk. In fact she was thrilled to assist!

We approached every room with her paint color palette which was uber helpful. Once I was able to determine the color paints I wanted, I could start saving money for it. Despite my grand idea of remodeling in the 1st year of owning, I have limited funds in which to do it.

I dubbed the process "a champagne taste on a beer budget", which meant in short, I would buy what I could with the available money, then work until the project was done or I ran outta money.

I decided that the most difficult room to tackle would be the kitchen because it's a total resource vampire (i.e. time, money, and energy) Since I'm self-motivated, and determined neo-Renaissance Man, if I could accomplish this first, all the other rooms should be cake by comparison.

Frankly, that crimson was the most noticeable eyesore because ... it's the kitchen! I snapped a few photos of the existing color to return to #HomeDepot paint department. I was confident that the trained folks there would be willing and able to assist me.

They didn't disappoint either! After 2 coats of #Kilz gray primer, and 2 coats of paint, the kitchen was done to my vision. I thought an accent wall of a dark color, Hasbrouck Brown (HC-71) by #BenjaminMoore would be rocking with the other three walls covered in Dusty Road (1017) - I was right! The ceiling was returned to primer white. Two coats of KILZ white primer to be exact.

I felt better with the color change. Now that I can see the work-in-progress, it would drive my other decisions. In order to paint, I removed the window treatments with the intent of replacing right-away. It didn't happen until recently.

With the help of my girlfriend, Deana, my PIC WCP, #Pinterest, #IKEA, #Instructables, the occasional DIY tutorial, and of course, Home Depot, I managed to replace the window treatment for the sliding glass door. I was observing heat loss through the ginormous damn glass area, which meant more heat to keep the crib warm, therefore more money.

I was literally bleeding money out the window. *insert an animated GIF of the Wolf of Wall Street tossing money off a balcony*

I also managed to switch out all the outlets, outlet covers, and light switches to a dark brown plus antique copper combination (see what I did there? LOL)

I have so much more to tell ya, but time's up! More from me later.

'los; out

#FunctionalNOWPrettyLATER
#sweatequity
#BastionofBayne
#elbowgrease
#homeTLC
#keepdigging

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper