Skip to main content

Hallmark Holiday - Valentine's Day

We're nearing ever so close to the Hallmark Holiday of Valentine's Day. I'm sure y'all are thinking I don't have a girlfriend with a statement like that. As a matter of fact, I do have a girlfriend! And no, she doesn't want me to cave by buying gifts, flowers, or chocolate. It's strange and comforting at the same time.

I've stated this several times that I don't need a day, a world renown day, to declare my love for my partner. If you know anything about me, then you know this is true.

I understand that young couples, and new couples, feel compelled to participate in this holiday. American society almost demands it. And by American society, I mean to say, American corporations that make a large sum of money on account of this holiday.

At the very least, you've gotta a send a greeting card of paper or emailed to your beloved. Hallmark and the other greeting card companies practically bank on this. Hence why I joked it's a Hallmark Holiday. By the way, they have reported to have 1,330 different cards specifically for Valentine's Day. Oh, and here's some Valentine's Day Trivia for ya ... about 1 billion greeting cards will be exchanged this year. That's enough to almost rival Christmas.

I digress.

What about the florists of the nation? They account for some of their yearly sales based on rose purchases for this occasion. Don't believe me? One source advised me that approximately 110 million red roses will be delivered within a 3-day period. Amongst that activity, 15% of women will send themselves flowers on Valentine's Day. As to why, I have no idea and you'll have to ask them why they did.

Valentine's Day is big business. Consumers will spend an average of $77.43 on Valentine's Day gifts this year. E-commerce retailers expect to rack up about $650 million in sales of food, candy, flowers, and other Valentine's Day gifts. Of that amount about $350 million will be for gifts and flowers and another $45 million will be spent on food (including chocolate) and wine.

That also means bling!

Again I find it humorous to witness those that participate in the holiday. Some of my friends will balk at this day, and celebrate Singles Awareness Day (S.A.D.) is a holiday celebrated by single people. It serves as a complement to Valentine's Day for people who are single, that is, not involved in a romantic relationship. Some people who observe S.A.D. do so out of spite for Valentine's Day, as a Hallmark holiday, or for other reasons.

On Singles Awareness Day, single people gather to celebrate or to commiserate in their single status. Some want to remind romantic couples that they don't need to be in a relationship to celebrate life. 

Common activities during Singles Awareness Day include singles' events, traveling, volunteering, treating oneself to popular activities, gathering of family and friends, and gift-giving for oneself.

So Spaceship Earth, I ask you. Are you gonna celebrate Valentine's Day, rock Single Awareness Day, or simply nothing at all? Lemme know as I'll be doing the latter than the former.

Until next time, be good like you should, and if you can't be good, be good at what you do!

Mic drop *bOoM*
'los; out

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper