Skip to main content

A Hero's Life

As I was strolling the streets of Seattle last week, I was mulling over my life so far on my life path. I was gravely disappointed as I compared it to my friends and family accomplishments of marriage, children and families. Then after thinking more on it, I've concluded I've inadvertently chose a hero's life.

Can't say I'm surprised, though. What surprised me was the amount of time it's taken to acknowledge it. If I was a betting man, I would wager that I started on this life path early in my childhood. My mother once told me that I should help people as much as I can, with all my available resources, so long as it isn't detrimental to me and lawful.

Basically be the hero that I continue to read in my comic books, and see in the movies I watch.

What's Next?

It's no secret I love heroes. They're the good guys! And who doesn't like a hero, or at the very least, a good guy. Ultimately, they are role models that are relatable. You identify some portion of the hero such as their moral code. What I did recognize is that a hero's life is rather lonely. It's an occupational hazard, I suppose. When you're preoccupied with being a hero, there's no time for anything else, or anyone else.

I'm not saying heroes are alone. Quite the opposite, really. I noticed most heroes have an awesome group of people surrounding them to support. For example, Buffy the Vampire Slayer has her friends, and family, per se, that are dubbed the "Scoobie Gang". Or better yet, the Avengers are a group of superheroes! Even Batman has Alfred, Robin, and others that help out.

I realize these are fictional characters, but understand these are the manifestations of people that I'm confident would want to be these heroes as the ultimate reflection of themselves.
Thinking on it, while the hero isn't alone, they are technically alone - no one to call their own.

You see, I've been trying to understand why I can't find someone to share my life with. To share the accomplishments, to weather the tribulations with. Someone to be happy with. I haven't been able to find this person because I've been trying to be a hero. I've concluded I won't be able to either, as long as I continue this life path. It explains why my past relationships haven't endured despite my desire for them. Yet, I have an amazing group of friends and family that I'd do anything for them as much as they would do for me.

I know some of y'all reading think I'm arrogant and egotistical to say I'm a hero. I wouldn't say it if I didn't hear it or see it already. And in fact, I continue to hear it.

Case in point. My birthday a couple years ago. I requested everyone dress as they fav superhero. My expectation was a gamut of costumes such as Superman, or Wonder Woman, and more. Well, a dear friend of mine dressed up as Super Los. I was literally oblivious to this as I honestly thought it was a character to compliment another friend's costume (I thought she was the Comedian from Watchmen which would be in the same theme of another girl who dressed as Silk Spectre II)

No, I wasn't intoxicated either. I was convinced that I'm not a hero, so I completely missed it. But she thinks of me as a hero, and her favorite to boot, so that's the inspiration for that!

"The thing about a hero, is even when it doesn't look like there's a light at the tunnel, he's going to keep digging, he's going to keep trying to do right, and make up for what's before, just because that's who he is - Joss Whedon"

Once I recognized that, everything else seemed to make sense! Therefore I should stop fruitlessly looking for that someone. I don't have a partner earmarked for me to find. Never did.

Keep digging,
'los; outro

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper