Skip to main content

In-And-Out of Trouble

My most recent visit to the iconic fast food restaurant, In-And-Out Burger, in San Jose, CA reminded me how I was in-and-out of trouble one particular sunny day in Las Vegas ...

I love In-And-Out Burger, but none are in the Pacific Northwest, specifically the Seattle area. So it's an absolute foodie treat to consume it, because I'm usually on vacation at some sunny destination that has it. For example, Las Vegas. That's right, Sin City!

My crew and I traveled down for our annual "brodown", which always includes at least one stop to In-And-Out Burger. The location of the restaurant is off-off Strip, so that means a pain in the ass to access, the parking lot is not big enough for the demand, and it's popular to boot.

Coincidentally, a couple of female co-workers of ours were in Vegas as well. We arranged to meet up there at the In-And-Out Burger. All was well, right? Nope.

After we purchased our food, we withdrew to the outside patio area to nosh tough on our food of shame, while basking in the dessert  sun. About mid-meal, a car alarm was set off by a passing patron. We're all accustomed to hearing the blaring noise of a car alarm. That wasn't the disruptive part. We're also conditioned that after a few seconds a car alarm will cease as it resets itself or the owner turns it off.

Not this time!

It kept blaring for a full 30 seconds more. The entire patio area was subjected to this annoying blaring.

Then I snapped.

I gently set down my 4x4 animal style burger (a not-so-secret, but definitely off-menu choice), stood up, and grumbled, "That's IT!" My crew of guys peered up over their burgers, shrugged their shoulders and continued. The girls gasped at my words.

My teeth were gnashing in my skull ... I didn't travel a thousand miles, spent hundreds of dollars, negotiate vacation time from my work to have burger time at my beloved In-And-Out Burger to be ruined by some idiot's car alarm!

As I walked into the building, I stopped in what I thought was the middle, and tried to isolate the sound of the car alarm. Amongst the conversations, the machinery sounds and all the sounds resonating throughout the building, you couldn't hear anything else.

Much less a blaring car alarm outside ...

"GOOD AFTERNOON EVERYONE!" I announced. The place was silenced, like some drunk person bumped the DJ's table with a record on it. "Will the owner of the gray Dodge Charger, license plate blah, blah, blah," as I pointed towards the now-everyone-can-hear the car alarm, "please turn off your car alarm? It's been going off for several minutes, and disturbing the patrons outside."

The manager behind the counter practically pushed the silent alarm button under the counter, as I caught him in my sightline trying to locate the owner.

Seconds passed with no volunteers, but it seemed like minutes. A little girl piped up that is literally the table beside me, "Dad! Dad! That's our car with the alarm."And she points towards the same car.

The man withdraws a car alarm fab, and grumbles, "It's not an alarm." But the tell-tale chirp of it being turned off told me differently.

I announce loudly, "Thank you so much for your cooperation. Enjoy the rest of your meal and day." I turn on my heel. As I took a step, a stranger grabs my arm. "Thank you, sir. That was needed."

As I tried to continue to return my food of shame, another stranger stands in front of the exit door and myself, "Thank you so much, as I was trying to find a manager to make an announcement like that." I shook my head, and shook their outstretched hand, "No problem, ma'am. Just doing what needs to be done."

I casually walk back to my table of friends, quietly sat down, and returned to noshing on my burger and fries. The two girls stared at me in amazement, with the mouths agape.

"What?" I grumbled with a mouth full of food.

Melvin asked, "What did you say to get that to happen?"

"Whatever what was needed," I stated plainly. "Now eat your food," I commanded. The girls looked at my bros trying to confirm the same reaction as they were having. The boys simply continued on.

Melly (changed the name to protect) turned to face my bro, Jason, "Did you know he was gonna do that?"
"No," he replied. "But I'm not surprised either."
She pressed further, "Why?"
"Because that's what Los does."
"Which is?" her curiosity drove her.
He smiled. "Whatever and whenever is needed."

So Seattle and Spaceship Earth do you have a friend, or loved one that is tenacious? Are they fearless in most situations? Please comment below with your story!

As always, be good like you should and if you can't be good, be good at what you do!

Mic drop *bOoM*
'los; out




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper