Skip to main content

Calm Carlos In Crisis Management

Not sure why the Universe has presented a couple of times recently, but crisis management seems to be on its' mind. A few weeks ago I shared with a young lady my top 5 near-death experiences or disaster related stories.

She sat there in the bar booth with a look of astonishment - how did you stay calm?

This week during my weekly American Red Cross Emergency Communications Weekly Net Meeting we didn't have Net Control [think a 'boss] While everyone was calm, we quickly realized that the primary, secondary and tertiary Net Control were not present.

I calmly stepped up, and became Net Control.

Then during an American Red Cross Chapter Meeting, our speaker was Colin Downey, Director of Communications for Western Washington. He launched into his harrowing experience with the Oso Landslide.

Again, he was calm.

Where do we get that perceived 'calmness', you ask? It's not really calmness, folks. Trust me, it's anything but that! However it is crisis management by way of training.

That's right: TRAINING.

Oh, and practice. And re-current training. That and practice. Did I mention practice? Sadly, humans are creatures of habit therefore skills that are not repetitively addresses are lost [case in point, your high school second language class - can you say more than hi in Spanish, French, or German?]

It's proven that a panicked mind filled with endorphins  and adrenalin can't think rationally and/or have cognitive thought. The basic 'fight or flight' instinct has settled in, and you're amp'd. Period. When the juice hits my system, my heart beats like a jack rabbit, the blood is coursing through my veins, and my mind is on fire.

But I seem calm. Most humans will revert to an elementary action state or carnal reactions. Unless, you've been trained and conditioned for the situation.

Who plans for an emergency? NO ONE.
Who should be prepared for an emergency? EVERYONE.

Speaking of be prepared, that's the Boy Scouts of America Motto. Say what you will about BSA, but it's solid emergency preparedness and training. And some of you BSA haters might not realize it, but you've been the benefactor of that training. How's that for an early morning mind-f**k?

I digress.

I've followed up BSA with CPR Training, First Aid Training everywhere that's offered it. It's the same information, people. Never hurts to ... (you know I'm gonna type it) PRACTICE.

Avoiding panic is knowing what to do, and when to do it. Ask any first responder! Their training kicks in and they are off and running being heroes.

Growing up I received my lion's share of experience in crisis management having a Filipino mother, and a little sister as a latch-key kid. Yes, my father is there but as I said before - NO ONE PLANS FOR AN EMERGENCY. Duh.

Everyone should be prepared for an emergency.

One of my sections of training is having the right gear in place when you need it. Below is a photographic and literal breakdown of my DIY first aid kit that can be assembled rather inexpensively . Personally it's far better suited for a first aid emergency than the mass-market one.

Not hating, but given the opportunity I'd rather have this:


I'll break down what's there, and more importantly WHY it's there. 
1 two-way radio kit (two receivers)
cut up bed sheet
roll of gauze
plastic gloves
bandages
ace bandages
feminine hygiene products
cake icing
emergency blanket
eye wash
instant warmers
flashlight
fabric scissors
bag 


You don't need to be an amateur radio operator (ham) to operate a radio. It's the oldest form of communication, and will always be around when mobile phone service(s) goes to hell in a hand basket. I have a plug-in and battery power.



Flashlight and extra batteries - If you can't see what the hell you're doing, you really shouldn't be doing it! Electricity will be the first of many taken-for-granted conveniences that'll be gone in an emergency. 


King size bed sheet and fabric scissors - Yep, cut up a king size flat bed sheet into strips and squares as they make the best slings! Or bandages. Or quickly tying up the human body but in a nicer way than zip-ties and ropes :) That fabric scissor? You'll need that if you need quick access to skin. That lovely blouse that you bought on sale at Nordstrom Rack is gonna get 86'd if I have to put an AED to your chest, lady! 


Plastic bag, plastic gloves, gauze, tape, bandages (Band Aid) - Ask any first responder if they usually know the person they are working on, and I'd bet DOLLARS TO DOUGHNUTS they'll say no. Almost every time. In fact, if you do know the person it might even hinder your training. 

My point? Plastic gloves. While I'm trusting person, I have no idea what type of bodily fluid might get on me and vice versa. Always best to work with these on. The other stuff? You know to remove the tape on the adhesive and apply as necessary. And the best part? The plastic bag can be sealed with the used gloves!


Tampons and pads and more gauze - I honestly should have a paper towel roll in here too but this works too. The best blood absorbing product I know that's out there is a tampon and pads. They are designed to absorb as much blood as possible. PERFECT! Not their intended use, and I don't give an eff. I'm doing what needs to be done. For nose bleeds, remove the cardboard sheath, use your fabric scissors, cut that tampon in half, and gently place each half in a nostril. The person will look ridiculous, but they'll be alive to tell you how silly they looked - job done!

The pads, you ask? For deep cuts, gushing blood wounds, put one on. As it soaks it up? Pile yet another on! DO NOT REMOVE THE FIRST ONE!! 


Rolled gauze - Magical stuff here, kids. If you need to leave the above person and can't apply pressure to that wound? Roll it up with this business. 


Eye wash, emergency blanket, instant cold pack, and cake icing - Eye wash is self explanatory. Gawd, I hope so! Emergency blanket is fantastic to trap body heat. Don't lay it on them, wrap them up just like the picture. Sure, they'll look like a walking Klondike Bar, but they'll be warm! Instant cold pack - please tell me you know what to do with this. Oh, and the cake icing? A diabetic attack can be alleviated by placing a small daube under their tongue. Plus it tastes exponentially better than the mass-market stuff and... you can choose the flavor!


Heat packs - This is my first aid kit, which is tailored to the Pacific Northwest. It's where more often than not, it's colder than a well-diggers ass or my ex-wife in bed - you choose. 

Now that you've assembled your DIY First Aid Kit, place it somewhere that's easy to get to, and that everyone in the household knows it's location. 


Location, location, location - I've placed mine in the hallway close, shelf, and next to the apartment door. If it's church on the move / time to sky up / connecting your elbows to asshole time (i.e. RUNNING OUT THE DAMN DOOR) you're gonna need this. 

This is only my first aid kit - when I get inspired I'll post my "when the world is attacked by zombies" kit. 

This has been your C Note

'los; out









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manic Monday, Terrible Tuesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Finally Friday

What a roller coaster week I have had! To start off the week was a manic Monday. After work on Monday , I did a WinCo run with WCP. Always entertaining. Tuesday was terrible. Started off by being tardy for work, so I treated myself to Tully's before posting up. And... in my experience, when you start off a day like that, any attempt to speed up or make up that half-step, half-tick, never happens. For inexplicable reason, you are now out-of-step with the Universe, and like fucking hell you're gonna make it back up. Never. Fails. I was late to meetings, I was late to a gym class I'm regularly early for, and the list goes on. In fact, I decided on that day instead of seeking out my dream girl of a svelte body, superior intelligence, endless energy, and with a litany of characteristics to make any fairy godmother proud I made the wide-sweeping declaration that I wanted this instead. A 2-ton, yoga pants wearing, 45 year old, bitter, divorcee that is one more named cat f

Thank You!

Thank you for reading my posts on this blog. However, I've managed to purchase my own domain to make my own posts and hopefully... y'all will follow it over there for your Weekly Dose of Los! www.carlosbayne.com 'los; out

Let's Dance

The other week, I was driving to my 2 nd job at Malarky’s Sports Grill. Wednesday to be exact. I noticed a man standing at a bus sign waiting for a bus. I recognized the man right away. It was Kenny, The Dancing Wild Man of Factoria. It’d been a minute since I’ve seen him on the streets of Issaquah, I was growing concerned that something awful happened to him. I was thankful to find him once again, and within the same area I “met” him the first time… hilarious story. I remember distinctively. It was my first summer I spent in Issaquah. The sun was out, so relatively warm. I was bombing around in the Sapphire Sled [an arctic blue, 2004 Acura RSX Type S] with the windows down, the tunes up. I was stopped at the traffic light on the corner of Front Street and NW Gilman Blvd; the busiest intersection. From out-the-cuts, I heard someone screaming! I pull off my shades immediately. I whip my head around trying to seek out the source of the noise. I turn down the radio as I desper